“Time is precious”. We all get the same 24 hours, then how some people achieve more in their life? The answer is good Time Management. Everyone likes to manage their time effectively, but here crops the question, How do I manage my time effectively? Here are some tips which will help you manage your time.
Tip -1 – Create a To Do list
Each of us needs to have a clear idea of our personal tasks. Everyone has some work to do in their regular life. Create a “To Do” list. Each task will differ according to its nature of work and we won’t spent the same time limit for all the task. So check which task should be done first.
Tip -2 – Prioritize your work
With a clear personal mission and objectives, time can be scheduled for the task, on a daily basis or Weekly basis. Rate each task.
- Rate each task as “Important” or “Less Important”.
- Rate each task as “Urgent” or “Not Urgent”.
- Put the “Important/Urgent” and “Important/Not Urgent” tasks in your first schedule.
- Schedule a deadline for each activity and use your time efficiently.
- “Less Important” tasks can be completed in your remaining time.
Tip -3 – Priority Matrix
Draw a Priority Matrix and write down the urgent and Important task. The Action that needs to be done with High Importance and High urgency “Do First”, High importance Low Urgency “Do Next”, Low Importance High Urgency “Do Later”and Low Importance Low Urgency “Don’t Do”.
Many of us don’t know the difference between urgent task and important work. Here is an example
- Answering the phone – Urgent
- Going to the dentist regularly is important – Important
- Picking your children up from school – Both Urgent and Important.
- Reading funny emails – Is neither urgent nor important.
Tip – 4 – Maintain a work log
Maintain a work log to record all the task on daily basis. Check the time consumed for each and every task. There are many Time management app that can help to record your work on a daily basis or use a worksheet to manage your time. Check which task has consumed more time. Is the time spent on the particular task is worthy? Analyze the status of the work, did the work got over or still in pending.
Tip – 5 – Research & Planning
Allot some time for planning and research. In a good Time Management planning and research are crucial. Planning is an easy task but following the plan is very difficult. Make a weekly plan and give a deadline.
- Take time to research new information and plan how you are going to use it.
- Find out the job, which occupies the maximum time and examine the workflow. If it is a big project. Break them into pieces.
- Use the first 30 minutes of your day to create a daily to-do list that suits your weekly plan.
- Most of us find our first hour of the work the most productive. So complete your most important and demanding tasks first in the morning.
- Consider Pareto’s law as it applies to your personal productivity–20% of the work produces 80% of the results.
Tip – 6 – Keep your workspace organized
- Making the place clean will improve your motivation and positive thoughts. If the workplace is not clean, then you won’t get stuck up anywhere.
- Keep your workspace organized, put things where they belong. So that time isn’t wasted on searching for them.
- Stand up! When you’re in the middle of a task and someone comes to see you stand to greet them and remain standing. “Stand up meetings” are also a way to keep meetings short.
The process of planning and organizing how to divide your time between specific activities. Failing to manage your time effectively can have some undesirable consequences. Finally spending a little time learning about time-management tips will help you to achieve in your career.